Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crime Lab to be part of JCSO Citizen's Academy

I have to admit that one of the nights I am most looking forward to in the Citizen's Academy is the evening we will spend at the Crime Lab.


The Sheriff's Office will be relocating their crime lab from Mission to 119th Street near Ridgeview Road in Olathe in the next few weeks.  For a sneak peak in to the lab view this story by kctv5:  http://www.kctv5.com/story/16995775/csi-johnson-county.  There will be a dedication ceremony at 10am on March 2 to include tours of the lab starting at 11am.

One of the biggest reasons why I chose to attend the Citizen's Academy through JCSO instead of another agency is because of some of the interactions I have had with JCSO.  I previously posted about an encounter with a deputy.  What I didn't mention is that through my job I am also responsible for research and one of the things that we follow is the drugs people consume legally and illegally.  The company I work for provides drug testing services for area employers.  When synthetic drugs such as K2, Spice, etc hit the streets I was unable to find any information about the contents of the drugs and if testing for the compounds in the drugs was available.  I came across an article in the news about JCSO trying to get the synthetic drugs banned so that they could not be sold in convenience stores, etc.  I contacted JCSO through their Public Information Officer and was put in contact with the Crime Lab.  They have been a tremendous resource for me and the company I work for.  I can't wait to tour the Crime Lab and hopefully put faces to names.  I appreciate the assistance I get every time I contact JCSO with a question.  It definitely influenced my decision as to what Citizen's Academy I wanted to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?