Thursday, July 5, 2012

Volunteer Op... JCSO Citizen's Academy

I didn't have any plans for the 4th of July so when I saw an email from Rita asking for volunteers to help with the Stilwell 4th of July parade I said "sure, why not?"  Wouldn't you know it, moments after responding "yes" I got not one but two invitations to holiday fun on the 4th of July.  That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes...  I already committed so there was no backing out!


Who knew it would be the hottest day of the year to date??? 102 degrees on parade day!!!  Oh well, it's okay, had I not volunteered to help JCSO out at the parade I would have volunteered to work the first aid station at Spirit Fest for the Red Cross.  Either way, it was going to be a hot adventure!  But one thing I knew for sure, I wouldn't be catching myself on fire or possibly losing a finger this 4th of July!  (Volunteering was my way of staying out of trouble this year.  I like blowing things up but in all honesty I really wasn't interested in fireworks this year.  Still having issues getting past the fire.  I didn't watch any fireworks and was glad that my neighbors adhered to the fireworks ban in Shawnee.)


11 volunteers met up with Deputies at 5pm for a debriefing and then we headed out to our assigned locations.  I was assigned to traffic control one block east past the end of the parade route.  This location would see traffic from 2 different directions filtering in to the parade route.  My task was to prevent anyone from turning in to the parade route.  I used my car to block the road so that turning in to the parade route wasn't possible. (That's probably the only time I'll get to illegally park in the middle of the street blocking traffic without getting a ticket or something so I took advantage!  Okay, it was recommended I do that so I really was just doing what I was told...)   I got an ear full from a couple people who wanted to turn but they listened to my instructions to turn left instead of right.  If I had a problem I could have yelled up to Deputy Leiker who was on the other side of the railroad tracks directing traffic away from the parade route.  We were given a cell number for one of the deputies to respond to our location if needed.  Deputy Leiker was close enough to me it wasn't really an issue I had to worry about.  In all, spent about an hour blocking traffic in the heat.  Glad I wasn't wearing a black uniform with bullet proof vest and all the other stuff the deputies wear.  I was hot enough wearing my khaki shorts and CA shirt with the neon yellow vest (with Sheriff written on it so we looked somewhat official) on top of it! 


I guess they put me off the parade route this time so I couldn't socialize with the parade participants. That wasn't very nice....... I like candy too! 

Still not sure how much more I will participate in volunteer activities with the Sheriff's Office.  I guess as long as the deputies and staff keep saying thank you for coming out to help I will continue to entertain the idea of volunteering.  I am meeting some interesting people and that's really what makes volunteering special... the people you meet and sometimes even get to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?