Friday, February 15, 2013

Volunteering and Citizens Academy Alumni Assocations

I haven't said much about volunteering lately. It's not because I haven't been volunteering, because I have! I just haven't had much to share lately...

I spend one day a week at Wayside Waifs. Although I have to admit I haven't been good about that lately. Seems like it's one day every other week. I will be heading over there shortly today though.  Can't wait to see what new kitties and puppies are looking for their forever homes. The joy in volunteering at Wayside Waifs is seeing the animals get adopted and go to their new forever home. If I have become attached to an animal that generally means they have been at Wayside for too long but that increases the joy when they do finally get to go to their forever home!

I take call for the Red Cross one evening a week and more if I see a large gap on the calendar and I am available.  I took call 2 days this week and fortunately didn't get a call. I say fortunate because if I receive a call that means that someone is having a bad day and has either experienced a fire or some other disaster. I appreciate being able to help people but I wouldn't wish a disaster on anyone! I still have nightmares from my fire and it's been almost a year since it happened... 

I am bringing up the subject of volunteering today because it came up this week in the Citizen's Police Academy. If you have been reading my posts you know I am currently attending Raytown Missouri Police Department's Citizens Academy. This week Marilyn (CA coordinator) encouraged the participants to think about forming a Citizens Academy Alumni Association. I had actually inquired about a Citizens Academy Alumni Association at the last academy I attended but it wasn't something of interest to their organization. The response I received was that their funding comes from tax dollars, grants, SCAAP funds, etc so therefore they don't have the need for fundraising. It led me to believe that the main purpose of a Citizens Academy Alumni Association is fundraising but the more I researched other organizations I learned that fundraising may or may not be a goal of the Citizens Academy Alumni Association. Here are some of the goals for Citizens Academy Alumni Associations that I have learned about:  provide educational opportunities for citizens (to make better informed citizens and foster better communication between law enforcement & citizens), provide volunteer opportunities for citizens with the law enforcement agency in which they attended a Citizens Academy, help promote the law enforcement agency within the community via community activities, etc. Having learned a little bit more about Citizens Academy Alumni Associations it is something I would like to consider pursuing. I am still a little disappointed that JCSO wasn't interested in forming one but you know the saying... if one door closes, another one opens... I am looking forward to seeing what door(s) opens for me this year. I am not a resident of Raytown so I don't know if it's in my or their best interest for me to volunteer for their organization. I guess I will take it a day at a time and see what opportunities are available and what their needs are. I will be volunteering for another local agency too so I need to be careful and not spread myself too thin. People who know me keep cautioning me not to wear myself out trying to do too much. I guess I am still trying to find my niche and that's why I am trying different things. I have enjoyed learning new things and meeting the wonderful people in each organization I have volunteered with! Looking forward to more opportunities and meeting even more wonderful people!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?