Saturday, November 16, 2013

One of the many reasons why I volunteer...

Why do I volunteer? There are many reasons and last night reaffirmed a few of them! As I was entering a house to do an assessment after a fire this little guy came running up to me. He's a young puppy belonging to the family affected by the house fire.
 
(Wish I had gotten a better pic but it was difficult without any electricity and with him jumping up on me I am surprised I got a pic at all. I wanted to pet him, reassure him that he was okay and capture the moment!)
 
The family was worried their puppy didn't survive as they were unable to find him. The fire department reported to the family that they hadn't found him either so imagine my surprise when he came running up to me upon entering the house. I volunteer at Wayside Waifs along with Red Cross. I enjoy helping people and animals. Did this little guy sense the presence of an animal lover and that's what brought him out from his hiding spot? We may never know but I can tell you that seeing this little guy made my night! It's always difficult on a family when they lose their home and belongings but losing a pet on top of it makes it that much more difficult. To see the elation on the family's faces when they saw that their puppy was safe well... that was a priceless moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?