Thursday, March 29, 2012

Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC) - JCSO Citizen's Academy

On Saturday March 31, 2012 we got an opportunity to spend about 3 hours with the training staff on EVOC.

This was one of the portions of the academy I was most looking forward to and they did not disappoint!  After being driven through the course by a deputy first at slow speed to describe it then at accelerated speed, we were then let loose to drive the course.

EVOC course 03/31/12

We ran several practice runs and then a qualifying run.   The practice runs we're fun and sometimes scary!   During one run with a fellow classmate I couldn't resist getting on the radio and asking the deputies if they were saying a prayer for me (because of how many cones the participant had already knocked over or side swiped).   That got a few laughs and one deputy responded they were saying "Hail Mary's" for me !   :)

The qualifying runs were done hot with lights and sirens.   The young gun of the class had the fastest time at 59 seconds.   I'm pretty sure I had the slowest time due to my penalties (3 second penalty for each cone hit) so we'll just avoid mentioning my time!

Here is the link to my qualifying run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VsbkdXo_Vk&feature=youtube_gdata_player.

One of the patrol cars we abused on the EVOC course.



Hoping to load more pictures another participant took once they are available.

I took home the "Cone Killer" award!   My prediction that I would knock over the most cones was true.   Oops!   I'm kind of disappointed with that because I actually hit zero cones during the practice runs.   The deputies said that once the sirens come on people tend to make more mistakes.   I guess that was true for me.   Oh well, I'll accept the "Cone Killer" award.   Had a lot of fun!   Thanks JCSO!!!

4 comments:

  1. EVOC was a lot of my classmates' favorite part of the academy, but was quite stressful for me. I'm a very careful driver so driving fast through those cones was crazy! Glad you had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do ya mean you are a careful driver??? :)

      Delete
  2. This was a blast... We all did a great job with the lack of experience we had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driving schools teach the basics of proper driving. They also provide the technical things that new drivers have to learn for them to be effective and safe drivers.

    cpc training course & Cpc transport manager courses

    ReplyDelete

Have any comments to share?