Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Week 4 - Professional Standards Unit and Use of Force - JCSO Citizen's Academy

Professional Standards Unit  (PSU) was to be included in Week 3 but got deferred to Week 4.  Still no Major Reed but Sgt Bryan Wise stood in for him.  This post will be about PSU and then I will do a separate post about the Use of Force.

The Professional Standards Unit is similar to Internal Affairs, it's just a nicer way to say it really.  PSU consists of a Commander, a Sergeant, a Detective and a Deputy.  Major Reed is the Commander.  Bryan Wise is the Sergeant.  Deputy Sander and Detective Shore round out the Unit.

The Professional Standards Unit provides the Sheriff's Office with a thorough, consistent and fair investigative review of complaints and commendations.  

The PSU is located within the Administration Division of the Sheriff's Office and reports directly to the Sheriff.

The PSU has full authority to conduct investigations without interference from any employee.

Professional standards exists to provide the following services to employees of the Sheriff's Office and the community:
  •  To protect the public from misconduct of an employee.
  •  To protect the department and employees from false accusations of misconduct.
  •  To provide an early warning system of misconduct.
  •  To identify organizational conditions that may contribute to misconduct.
  •  To acknowledge employees for conduct above and beyond the call of duty.

PSU serves as the "Eyes and Ears" of the Sheriff.  PSU performs audits of all Divisions, investigates complaints, reviews awards before being presented and provides assistance/guidance to commanders and supervisors.
  
Complaints can be from External Sources (Citizens, Agencies or Anonymous Sources) or Internal Sources (Employees).  A Complaint is any allegation, verbal or written, against an employee from a citizen, supervisor or other employee brought to the Professional Standard Unit’s attention, that if true would constitute a violation of the Professional Standards.
  
In 2011 there were 97 total Complaints (Dispositions) registered.  That was a 29% decrease from 2010.  Of the 97, 58 of those Dispositions were Sustained with action taken.   (40 were from Internal Sources and the other 18 were from External Sources).
  
Awards (Commendations) are praise for any aspect of an employee’s performance.  In 2011, 531 Awards were presented to Deputies.  Awards include Letters of Appreciation, Thank You notes, Perfect Attendance and the Star Award (Service That Attracts Recognition).
  
(Stats were provided in class by Sgt. Wise)

PSU also performs Compliance Audits on all Divisions to assure that they are following Policies and Procedures.
  
Complaints may be made in person or by telephone, fax, e-mail, electronic form submission via their web page http://www.jocosheriff.org/ or US mail service.  Racial Profiling Complaints can be made via the Sheriff's Office or with the Kansas human rights commission on their website www.khrc.net.

Commendations to express appreciation or commend a member of the Sheriff's Office for a "job well done" may be made via fax, e-mail, electronic form submission or write a letter to the Sheriff or to the Professional Standards Unit.

You may remain Anonymous.  Hint... don't submit it electronically if you want to remain anonymous.  Just sayin'!!!  In all seriousness though, many people are quick to complain but few take the time to submit a complement or letter of appreciation.  JCSO makes it very easy for you to do so.  I have actually submitted a letter of appreciation electronically.  If you read my post about why I wanted to attend the citizen's academy you may recall that I mentioned an encounter with a JCSO deputy.  It was a few years ago.  Um... yes I had expired tags but there was a little more to it than that and although it wasn't a big deal it's still my embarrassing moment so that's all I am sharing about that incident.  Anyway, I was so surprised by how friendly, professional (and patient!) the deputy was that I submitted the letter of appreciation.  Of course I assumed a couple things when I did so.  I assumed I would never see the deputy again and if I did, that the deputy wouldn't remember me.  I was wrong on both accounts, oops!  Oh well, it wasn't a big deal and I can laugh at myself!  I have no regrets about submitting it even if it's a little embarrassing running in to the deputy as much as I do.   :)   I am pretty sure I will have to find a different morning routine if that deputy reads this blog though.  One can only take so much embarrassment!  (Update:  I assumed when starting this blog that the deputy would never read it.  Had no idea it would be read by so many people!  I haven't changed my morning routine though despite turning what was an embarassing moment in to an even more embarassing moment by mentioning it in this blog!)

Okay, okay... I know what you really want to know about is the "hands on" portion of class involving Use of Force.  That's my next blog entry...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?