Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wait, it's Week 12 already??? - JCSO Citizen's Academy

I know, I know... I haven't posted about Week 11 - Introduction to and Tour of Crime Laboratory yet.  I will!  It will take me some time to get all the pictures and information together.  Look for that blog entry soon.  ...as we walked out of the Crime Lab last night it hit me that it's almost over.  It has gone by so fast!  And to think I almost didn't participate! 

The first night of the Citizen's Academy was on February 28, 2012.  I almost didn't participate because on February 23, 2012 my life was turned upside down.  I lost everything in a fire that night including one of my kitties (Cosmo) that had been part of my family for 14 years.  My other kitty (CJ) was badly burned and would face a painful recovery.  You hear about fires on TV and read about it in the news.  I even see them first hand as a Red Cross volunteer but you really don't appreciate the impact it has until you experience it.  It's devastating, overwhelming and it really does turn your life upside down. 


This is what I saw when I arrived at my apt complex February 23, 2012 (I was at training and unfortunately not home when the fire began.  My neighbor called me and told me to get home asap.)  The fire would destroy the entire building leaving 20 families looking for a new home.  I didn't know where to begin.  Lucky for me I had plenty of help in the form of donations, prayers and support.  I can't even begin to say how much my support system has meant to me.  However, all the support in the world is great but you still have the emotional toll.  How do you get back to "normal" after losing so much?  There were so many things to do and I was so emotionally drained.  I had one cat in the vet hospital and the other was still missing.  These were my kids.  If you have pets you know how much they are family.  I was lost without my boys.

CJ at the Vet Hospital Feb 24, 2012

Cosmo - January 2012
When Tuesday February 28 rolled around I really didn't know if I had the energy or even wanted to attend the Citizen's Academy.  However, I needed to somehow get back to a routine and decided I would attend the first night and then if it was too difficult I would inform JCSO that I was unable to attend.

I was quite distracted the first night of class. I kept receiving texts and phone calls from people who thought they found Cosmo.  I was trying to hold out hope that he had somehow escaped even though I knew in my heart he had not.  He was old and starting to show signs of deteriorating (no longer being able to jump up on high spaces, play etc like he used to).  I kept answering the phone and looking at the pictures.  My heart ached each time when I realized it wasn't him.  I would learn the next day that deceased animals had been pulled from the building.  Although I never viewed any of the animals I knew Cosmo was probably one of them.  He was a hider and likely hid under the bed when the fire started.  CJ was just the opposite.  He always runs to the door to greet visitors.

Attending the first night of class of the Citizen's Academy was actually the first "normal" thing I would do after the fire that didn't revolve around recovering from the fire.  Or was it?  Now that I look back I see how attending the academy actually helped me get on the road to recovery.  It gave me something to look forward to each week!

By March I was heading towards recovery.  I had already moved in to a new apartment and was accumulating furniture, clothes, etc.  I had returned to work and was beginning to feel like I was getting back in to a routine and then the unthinkable happened.  On March 6, 2012 I would attend class, head home and turn in for the night just like any other night but this would be anything but any other night.  At approximately 2am March 7, 2012 I was awakened by the sound of an alarm and neighbors yelling there is a fire and to get out of the building.  I couldn't believe it was happening again!  I had come to accept the 1st fire as part of life, stuff happens (the cause of the first fire is unknown but foul play is not suspected).  I never imagined it could happen again.  I got dressed, grabbed CJ, my purse, phone and keys and ran out the door down to my car (since it was not yet blocked in by police or fire) and drove just a few buildings down to my friends/neighbors.  When my neighbors heard the fire/police sirens they immediately looked out their window, realized it was my building and came outside looking for me.  They didn't have to ask me to come over, I was already on my way!  I couldn't bare to watch the fire so I hung out at their apartment while Lee went down to my building to see what was going on.  This fire would only damage 2 apartments.  My apartment would be spared but because it was right next to the unit where the fire originated, it would smell like smoke for weeks.  This fire would traumatize me more than the first.  I am not sure if it's because I wasn't home when the first fire started and therefore didn't experience being evacuated or if it's because the unthinkable happened again.  I have never really had nightmares as an adult but after fire #2, I would have nightmares for weeks. 

Despite fire #2 I would return to class the following week.  Glad I did because the hands on portion would begin.  It was a nice distraction from the stuff going on in my life!  Week 2 was a tour of the jail, Week 3 was training and an introduction to force. A few participants got to practice on the simulator.  Week 4 would give us all an opportunity to practice use of force techniques and simunition training.  Week 5 was an introduction to patrol and EVOC week.  Week 6 was warrants and introduction to the SERT unit.  It was cool to see all the equipment needed in those types of situations!  Week 7 was introduction to Civil and a tour of the Courthouse.  Week 8 was a tour of Dispatch and a "ride along" with a dispatcher/call taker.  Week 9 was Investigations where we got to review some of the cases worked on by JCSO.  Week 10 was K-9 officers including a demo by Nora and then of course last night was Week 11 - Introduction to and Tour of Crime Laboratory.  Many of us have also completed at least one ride along with a deputy in patrol. 

Sounds like we are all having a different experience on our ride alongs and because we are having different experiences, I am hoping to get a brief recap from all the participants so I can share it on my blog.  My first ride along was quiet with exception to the patrol car fail (see my entry 4/24/12 regarding my ride along).  I have to say though despite it being quiet, I really enjoyed my ride along.  Deputy Becker was friendly and professional.  I didn't feel like it was "work" to get her to engage in the conversation.  In fact, it felt like I was chatting with a friend.  When I wasn't asking questions, she was asking me questions.  The ride along wasn't supposed to be about me but by asking me questions she kept me engaged the entire shift.  One of the very first questions I asked was what a typical shift was like.  I really appreciated that she tried to show me a wide variety of activities so I could get a better feel for what a typical shift might entail instead of focusing on just traffic stops.  I look forward to my second ride along which will be with the same deputy but on a different shift since they will be changing shifts soon and I want to ride all 3 shifts.  Oh and because Deputy Becker had asked me questions, she knew when the car went up in smoke to make lite of it to put me at ease.  One can only take so much trauma but being able to joke and laugh about it definitely helps!

The Citizen's Academy has far exceeded my expectations!  I had no idea it would be so hands on.  What fun it was to drive the patrol cars on the EVOC course!  The tours of the different facilities has been great.  We have seen things many civilians in our community will never get to see unless they also participate in the citizen's academy (or become a guest of the JCSO - I'd recommend being a visitor rather than a guest!).  The deputies have all been friendly and answered all our questions.  I highly recommend to anyone interested in law enforcement as a career or just a general curiosity in what the job entails to attend a Citizen's Academy. 

I have a few more entries to post.  Range day is this weekend.  I won't be able to attend due to a previous engagement but if pictures are allowed, one of the participants has already volunteered to forward them to me (Thanks Bill!).  I will get to attend a make up session with the next academy class though.  That's very cool of JCSO to allow us to make up missed classes with the next class that goes through!  I also will post an entry about my 2nd ride along later this month (and 3rd which will be later this summer).  Next week is the dinner and final Q&A session.  We will learn more next week about what volunteer opportunities are available to us once we graduate the Academy.  I want to participate in a DUI check lane and will certainly post about that and any other volunteer opportunities that I might participate in.  I am disappointed that the Academy is almost over but am interested to learn how we can stay involved with JCSO.  I am really surprised to hear me say that.  You would think after having an encounter with a JCSO deputy a few years ago that I wouldn't want to have anything to do with the JCSO.  Instead the opposite is true.  It's amazing how treating someone with respect when they make a mistake can have such a positive impact!


Some of my fellow participants know about the fire and have been wondering how my kitty is doing.  He is doing well!  Thanks for all the support!  Here is a recent picture of him.  :)

CJ - May 7, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Kathi,

    WOW! I had no idea you have gone through all of this... God bless you for staying positive through all of this and continuing to attend the academy with us. It would be hard to not want to crawl into a hole after such devastation in your life, but through friends, God and prayers you have prevailed.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! You are correct, Through friends, family, God and many prayers I have been able to prevail. I am very lucky to have all the support I have had!

      Delete

Have any comments to share?