Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Citizens Academy, New Opportunity...


Raytown (MO) Police Department will be hosting a Citizen's Police Academy. It starts tonight (January 16, 2013) and lasts 8 weeks. I believe this is their first Citizen's Police Academy. I'll find out tonight and update this blog if I am incorrect. Topics covered during this 8 week program include:  crime analysis, patrol operations, domestic violence, narcotics investigation, and Neighborhood Crime Watch programs. It also includes a ride along with an officer in their patrol division. 

For more information about Raytown Police Department or to learn more about their Citizen's Police Academy visit their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/RaytownPolice or their website at http://www.raytown.mo.us/. They are also on twitter @RaytownPD and have a blog on blogspot:  http://raytownpolice.blogspot.com/

 
Part of my goal in participating in a Citizen's Academy is to improve community relations with local Fire, EMS and Police agencies. As noted in my blog, I am a Disaster Services Technician (DAT) with the Red Cross. Many times when arriving on scene of a disaster whether it be a fire, flood, tornado, etc., Fire, EMS and Police may be on scene. As a DAT it's important to be able to work cooperatively with Fire, EMS and Police. I am also interested in becoming CERT certified which will entangle me a little more with Fire, EMS and Police. I have a background in EMS but since it's been a while, I did a ride along with a friend who worked with Raytown EMS a year or so ago. Now I am getting the opportunity to do a ride along with Raytown Police. Looking forward to that since it will be with a friend who works in patrol with RPD! :) 
 
In 2012 I attended a citizen's academy through Johnson County (KS) Sheriff's Office which was a great experience. Now I want to see what differences there are between a Sheriff's Office and Police Department (if any). Still not sure how much I will blog about this experience but thought I would at least give Raytown Police Department some blog time since they are allowing me to attend their academy. There is no residency requirement to attend their citizen's academy so even though I live in Kansas I can attend.  I encourage anyone interested in learning more about law enforcement to attend a citizen's academy or at least do a ride along with a local agency. You can learn more about local agencies offering a citizen's academy by clicking here or find an agency that offers a ride along program by clicking here
 
As with JCSO, Raytown Police Department has volunteer opportunities for citizens. I live in Kansas, work in Missouri and since I am not a resident of Raytown I am not sure if there are volunteer opportunties for me. It's worth a listen though. I hope to increase my volunteer hours this year. I really fell out of sync last year due to the stressful year I had. Volunteering and running always seem to help get me back in to routine so I am exploring different volunteer opportunities this year. I am sure I will blog about those opportunties as they arise. New Citizen's Academy, New Opportunity...  Looking forward to seeing what 2013 presents. Thanks for reading! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?