Monday, September 29, 2014

Red Cross Community Event 09/27/2014

Seems like I haven't done much with the Red Cross lately. That isn't too uncommon during the summer months as we tend to see less fires during the summer than during the winter. Winter will be here soon enough and unfortunately our calls to house and apartment fires will increase and I won't likely be able to say I haven't done much. I have been on call regularly over the past few months so it's not that I haven't tried to be active, I just haven't been needed and like I say... that is a good thing! I never wish for a disaster, I just appreciate being able to help when one does occur. I did get a chance to participate in a community event this weekend. The NAACP held a picnic for it's members at Shawnee Mission Park. And wow did they have some nice weather for their picnic! I helped with community education and first aid. We didn't have any injuries so it was quiet in that regard. We did get some folks to stop by our table and pick up literature about emergency preparedness. We got to speak with several folks about ways to be prepared for things such as fires, tornadoes, floods, etc that can occur in our area of the country. I even spoke with a lady who received assistance from the Red Cross after a flood several years ago. She was quite excited to tell me her story and it was nice to hear how volunteers were able to help her!

I know I have said it before but I can't say it enough.... I really enjoy volunteering for the Red Cross! It's been a blessing for me and something I hope to continue to do for a long time!

Here's a pic from this weekend's event:

Steve, Melvin, me... and not pictured is Kim because she refused to be in front of the camera instead of behind it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?