Tuesday, October 13, 2015

2 Heroes Lost

Kansas City Fire Department lost 2 brave heroes in an apartment fire last night when a wall collapsed trapping 4 firefighters. 2 were pronounced dead at the hospital and 2 others suffered non-life threatening injuries. Fire Chief Paul Berardi identified the deceased firefighters as 17-year department veteran Larry J. Leggio and 13-year veteran John V. Mesh. The firefiighters had entered the building to rescue 2 residents trapped by the fire. These firefighters died heroes. How many people run in to burning buildings while the rest of us run out? My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of these Kansas City heroes. 

True definition of a hero!

I don't know if I have adequate words to express how I feel right now. As a Red Cross volunteer I witness first hand how wonderful our firefiighters and first responders are! Our first responders are incredible people! The firefighters are always great to work with. Always helping on scene with information about the families we are there to help and staying on scene when they can to keep Red Cross volunteers safe (if police aren't on scene). We couldn't do what we do without such a great relationship with the local fire departments.

I wasn't dispatched to last nights fire. That was likely intentional. Apartment fires are still emotional for me. I guess that's something you never get over. I know the volunteers that were dispatched to the fire and they are wonderful people. I know they did a great job taking care of the residents displaced by the fire. 

Red Cross assisted residents displaced by the apartment fire.

 I am lucky enough to call many first responders friends. It takes a special heart to do what you do! Thank you to all first responders! Prayers to KCFD! RIP to the 2 lost heroes last night. I know our KC community is supporting you today. 

Love and support you KCFD!

There are no words that can describe the pain these firefighters are experiencing after losing 2 of their own. 


  



RIP Larry J. Leggio and John V. Mesh Thank you for your service! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?