Thursday, October 11, 2012

Next Volunteer Opportunity

My next volunteer gig is Course Monitor at the Kansas City Marathon next weekend...Saturday October 20, 2012. 

 

The race is held in Kansas City, MO so we (volunteers with the KC Marathon, the many local running clubs as well as local businesses) will be working with Kansas City Police Department to provide a safe course free of traffic for runners and walkers participating in the 5K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Marathon Relay and Kids Run.  Nearly 12,000 participants are expected!



It takes hundreds of volunteers to pull off a safe event this big.  If you would like to volunteer please follow this link:  http://www.waddellandreedkansascitymarathon.org/volunteers.php.  Volunteers will receive a long-sleeve event t-shirt along with free food and drinks at the Finish Line Festival as well as free entries into prize raffles, including Southwest Airline tickets.

I try to volunteer at one or more races a year to give back to the running community. Running has been part of my life since I was a kid in Junior High and decided track was a sport I wanted to try.  Running is a great stress reliever!   I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon to be held on October 28, 2012 but due to my unusual stress level this year I just haven't been putting in the appropriate training to successfully complete the marathon so I decided to defer it to next year.   (Training for a marathon is stressful in itself!)  By deferring my entry, I am guaranteed a spot in next year's race and have already put it on my calendar and mapped out my training plan so no excuses, next October a Marine will be putting a medal around my neck!   In the meantime, I thought volunteering at the KC Marathon might help get me motivated and out running again!  I'll follow up this blog entry with a report from that event. 

There are many volunteer opportunities available not only through Johnson County Sheriff's Office, but many organizations throughout the KC Metro Area.  Since the Johnson County Sheriff's Office Citizen's Academy has long been over for me, I will likely use this blog to continue to write about my volunteer adventures.  Keep checking back if you want to learn more about the many volunteer opportunities available and what adventure I get myself in to that relate to law enforcement or other opportunities. 


1 comment:

  1. I hope you continue this blog. I have enjoyed reading about your adventure through the citizens academy. I hope you continue volunteering with the Sheriffs office and share your experiences here!

    ReplyDelete

Have any comments to share?