Sunday, October 7, 2012

Volunteering at the Chiefs game...

Volunteered at the Chiefs game today. One of the volunteer opportunities available through the Red Cross is to staff First Aid stations at various community events such as Chiefs games. You have to have a health care background and be certified in FA & CPR to staff FA stations. Basically we assist fans with minor injuries and/or illnesses they experience in the parking lot before and after the game. We are available to assist fans during the game as needed but we aren't the primary providers inside.

Spent the 3 hours before the game driving a golf cart through the parking lot visiting with fans. Didn't get fed this time. Note to self: Look hungry next time! Fans get creative with their tailgating and are usually inviting us to join their party. It's always interesting volunteering at the game. Even had a KCPD cop cruising behind me in a golf cart at one point. Half expected lights to come on and to get pulled over! He laughed when I said I wasn't speeding. Never mind how many other traffic laws I might break while cruising thru the lot! :)

The perk of volunteering at the game is getting to go inside and watch the game. Now if the Chiefs would actually win one, geez!

Inside Arrowhead we don't have seats but rather stand in areas behind the seats. I tend to wander a bit to find locations that are easier for me to see. Because I wander I tend to be stopped and asked questions. Probably because I look somewhat official wearing 2 radios and an Id badge. Last game I ended up helping an 82 year old woman who had an accident in the restroom. I wouldn't have known she needed medical help if her grandson hadn't stopped me to ask for help finding her.

Some games are uneventful and I just hang out and chat with the security staff, cops and deputies working the game. KCPD and Jackson County Sheriffs Office work the Chiefs games. Today was pretty uneventful. Gave out a few bottles of water, declined to give a couple fans a ride (we aren't allowed to give fans a ride on the golf carts since they are only 2 seaters) and answered a few questions. The Deputies I was chatting with had to break up a skirmish between a chiefs fan and a bronco fan (why was a bronco fan at the chiefs-ravens game other than to cause trouble?). Otherwise it was a fairly quiet day, for me anyway...

Haven't signed up for another game yet but I'm pretty sure I will. Maybe the Chiefs will win one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any comments to share?